I haven't made an underwire bra before but was able to using this pattern due to the detailed instructions. Despite making a toile I did need to go back and lengthen the back per blog post. I also used an online tutorial to make foam cups. An extension or tutorial for this alternative would be great. A bit more of a guide as to how much to stretch the band elastic between the cups and underarms would have been helpful as I had to unpick a couple of times. Love how it looks and have already started my second.
The bra pieces fit together well. I've made 40 G H I and J.
I shall make many bras from this pattern.
1. However, there is too little information on the pattern pieces. Marking the cross cup seam and/or the wire line on the bottom cups should be obvious.
2. The 2nd problem I have is with the measuring and sizing. The website does the underbust +4 inches measuring system and uses wire sizes for the underbust +4 inches method.
3. The instructions for the larger sizes uses the actual underbust measurement. So which cup size is correct? +1 inch for each cup size from the actual underbust or from the underbust plus 4.
4. Are the wire sizes the same for the underbust plus 4 inches eg 40+4=44 and the actual underbust 40 inches?
Using 2 different measuring systems is confusing and wasteful.
5. The sizing information on page 3 goes from cup size A to cup size DD - none of which apply to the larger sizes.
Thank you for your feedback! We just corrected the DDD to J size pattern Sizing Information section to reflect the correct cup sizes. It looks like we did not have the correct table there when we updated the files for our branding in late 2021.
We understand sizing can be difficult and we have made every attempt to simplify that with our blog posts on sizing (https://orange-lingerie.com/blogs/news/sizing-guidance and https://orange-lingerie.com/blogs/news/the-reason-why-bra-sizing-is-complicated).
The bottom line is that we find a ready-to-wear size the best indicator of which size bra will work best and that measurements do not work on their own. As part of this sizing simplification effort, we stopped recommending the +4 method so I am not sure where that is showing up? We were unable to locate that on our site.
Know that we are available to help with any sizing questions! We want you to be able to make your own beautiful and great fitting bras.
Team Orange Lingerie
This pattern worked out great. I typically wear a 30I from bra stores (which are usually very hard to find) and I'm so glad that this pattern has my size!! Now I can make all the cute bras that I want!
Hello, firstly I have to thank you for your quick replies, if you can see my previous questions and emails you will see that I mentioned I can’t wear underwires and asked if you would suggest a pattern. Which you did and I purchased, looking at it last week to order the notions I noticed it was an underwire. I contacted you and you said I could adapt the bra. So I haven’t used the pattern and I didn’t contact you again as I felt you may not send me another pattern. I feel very disappointed and would have really liked to have made a good bra without an underwire. Christine
I hope you decide to give this pattern a try! You can make this bra without adding the underwire when you make the alterations we shared with you! If you need more assistance with this, feel free to reach out to us!
Team Orange Lingerie